Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Ho Ho Ho, Who Wouldn't Go?

I don't have any pictures to show you showcasing the Christmas decorations around my house customary to most blogs, but I do have a couple phone pics of a child freaking out with Santa Claus. We are too cheap and impatient to wait in line to sit our kid on the mall Santa's lap for a picture, so we've managed to run into him a few times around town. I was curious to see how our energetic and always outgoing one-year-old would handle the nerve-racking experience. I showed him one picture of Santa a few weeks ago and since then I hear, "Santa, ho ho ho" every time he spots him. What is it that is so intriguing and captivating, yet terrifying at the same time about the man?
After a light-viewing trip downtown last weekend, we stopped in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to warm up with hot chocolate and gave our little guy a chance to meet the famous Mr. Claus in the flesh. He walked right up to him and slowly touched the hand Santa held out, but that was as far as his comfort level would allow.

The approach:


Getting close enough for a picture was apparently TOO CLOSE!



Another try at the local rec center's "Swimming with Santa"



Again, TOO CLOSE!


The sudden panic attacks on both occasions didn't stop Emerson from smiling, waving goodbye, and then gibbering about Santa in his car seat on the way home.

6 comments:

bella utahan said...

Sweet little Emerson!

Anonymous said...

How sad, but yet how funny!

Bekah said...

The look on Santa's face in the last picture is PRICELESS! and the look on Emers face is FANTASTIC!

Teresa said...

How does Santa swim in that outfit? No wonder Emers is afraid. The guy in red is overdressed.

bryce and kianna said...

They make the cutest pictures when they are screaming :)

Nancy said...

awwww...reminds me of his mother:)