Monday, October 8, 2012

One Day You Turn 30

 If you went running, walking, or cycling on the Jordan River Trail on one particular day in July you were entertained by colorful ribbons, balloons, and numbers in the trees for about a half mile stretch of the way. To celebrate JR's 30th year I collected 30 notes and well wishes from friends and family members to string along the trail before heading to a fish dinner with family.
 If you really want to learn about one's character and what they've done with 30 years, ask the personal witnesses that stood by. The diverse stories and notes painted a man of loyalty surrounded by many friends with a youth of mischief, yet well grounded due to a firmly founded upbringing. 

I enjoyed reading old stories of him attempting to stop his car from sliding into a tree by holding his hand out the window for his arm to take the impact; or loading up his Honda Prelude with 10+ teenage boys all with heads covered in tinfoil for processing highlights, when they were all the rage, to race down a country road; or crying as a child to get Kay Malone to bring him to the front of the line to meet her husband Karl; or as a scoutmaster chasing his boy scouts down at camp.     
There were also experiences with words of gratitude and admiration that you would never learn from his own mouth. 

I mentioned a couple of posts ago about how I get JR's family to help make my ridiculous plans possible. That's JR's younger sister's face on his shoulder in the above picture who helped me with this project. I was grateful for all the note contributers and help from R. Bex Madelyn (JR's nickname for her. He has a nickname for everyone). 
The dino finale

1 comment:

Stephen and Debbie said...

Happy birthday man! We are grateful for you and your awesome family! Looks like a great day!