When I was younger I used to dream about the romantic things my future husband and I would talk about as we laid our heads down on our pillows after a busy day. Last night one conversation led to another until we got into a deep discussion regarding the character and traits of one frightening puppet of a television show from our childhood. We were trying to figure out the purpose and story behind Miss Lady Elaine Fairchilde of Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood of Make-Believe. This conniving and manipulative woman was so retched looking that we both remembered her as a witch. I can’t imagine anyone not at least feeling a little uneasy when she popped her giant, sausage-like red nose over the wall. What was she doing living in that museum anyway, curator of a freak show? Why did "she" feel it necessary to attach "Lady" on "her" name anyway? Does "she" confuse anyone else? The clip below is a great example of just the kind of naughty thing Lady Elaine Fairchilde was always up to. It is long, so you can stop it half way if you need to. You might get caught up in a nostalgic moment as I did and end up watching the entire thing. The more I think about the residents of Make-Believe Land, I think a few of the cast members could have a psychological analysis. As crazy as she was, maybe Lady Elaine was just the type of revolutionist the land needed against the staunch dictator King Friday. She WAS gutsy enough to deface him on his narcissistic little dolls he created of himself. Did you notice how the timid little Prince Tuesday always seemed terrified of him? I saw another clip where Lady Elaine actually tried to convince the little prince that his parents were going to divorce and it was all his fault! He ran away from the castle to live with Daniel the Cat in the clock. I'm not making this up! I can’t believe how different these little shows seem now that I view them with the eyes of an adult. What happened?
6 comments:
Anonymous
said...
Ok, she was one of the scariest people I have ever seen on a show! I can still hear her scary voice in my head even before I played the clip! I guess you don't see it that way when you are a kid, but then as an adult you wonder, "Why did my parents let me watch that show?"
Kristi, you are hilarious. I wish we could hang out. :) I love Mr. Rogers, but the land-of-make-believe always did seem a bit off. Mostly because of Lady E, I'm sure! I'd like to be in on those brainstorming sessions of casting, storyboard-- crazy! And, how funny, I totally DO remember the episode about Prince Tuesday running away! At least Sesame Street is still pretty fabulous. ;)
That is one of the creepiest shows! I agree thinking about it now as adult who would want their child watching such a thing? A grown man that is in love with little children and characters that are insane and very weird looking! I guess one day our children might look back and wonder about some of the shows they watched as children.
DIYers adventuring through a new life as parents, always planning the next escape to see the world, thinking about the next home project, and trying to increase in creativity, theology, and gastronomy.
6 comments:
Ok, she was one of the scariest people I have ever seen on a show! I can still hear her scary voice in my head even before I played the clip! I guess you don't see it that way when you are a kid, but then as an adult you wonder, "Why did my parents let me watch that show?"
Lady Elaine is quite wicked, but oh how I love Mr. Rogers:)
I was always afraid of Lady Elaine as a child. As an adult, she ANNOYS THE HECK out of me!
Kristi, you are hilarious. I wish we could hang out. :)
I love Mr. Rogers, but the land-of-make-believe always did seem a bit off. Mostly because of Lady E, I'm sure! I'd like to be in on those brainstorming sessions of casting, storyboard-- crazy! And, how funny, I totally DO remember the episode about Prince Tuesday running away!
At least Sesame Street is still pretty fabulous. ;)
That is one of the creepiest shows! I agree thinking about it now as adult who would want their child watching such a thing? A grown man that is in love with little children and characters that are insane and very weird looking! I guess one day our children might look back and wonder about some of the shows they watched as children.
Classic! I love this post and totally agree.
Post a Comment