Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thank You Mr. Gutenberg

If you ask me, the most important and impacting invention of all time is the printing press. I think Johannes Gutenberg was inspired when he created the press that enlightened the dark ages and spread knowledge and light across the world. His perfected techniques were used for hundreds of years after.
I was able to experience Gutenberg's entire printing process from pouring the metal into the type cast, setting the type, blotting the ink, and finally to turning the press at the Crandall Historic Printing Museum in Provo. Three different well-experienced men, seasoned in the art of printing, took us on a tour through different printing eras in the print shops of Gutenberg, Franklin, and E.B. Grandin (where the first 5,000 copies of the Book of Mormon were printed). Why are they called upper and lower case letters? Where did vellum come from? Why is it called a "signature edition?" Get your questions answered while you view the fantastic press replicas.
They have plans to expand the museum and need help
gaining the funds. They need you to take a date, take your family, or go solo on a tour. The small charge of $3 gets you a walk through the museum, or you can call to reserve a guided tour/lecture for larger groups. It never hurts to learn something new. Check it out!

5 comments:

bella utahan said...

I think I will go see this while I am in Utah- sounds really cool!

Steve and Hailey said...

Thanks for meeting up with me on Monday. You and Rach are the best and I'm so excited for a three girls out night! Hooray!

The Bullocks said...

http://myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com/
hey here is the link to that food storage blog. I think there is a link on there for the web sight on where to save money on groceries. I'll let you know when I find the organization one.

The Bullocks said...

http://justorganizeyourself.blogspot.com/
http://www.creativeorganizing.typepad.com/

Here are two different organization blogs. I think they are both pretty good. Katie.

The Bullocks said...

http://www.dealstomeals.com/
I swear this is the last comment I'll make. I just need to get your e-mail address. here is the link to the grocery saving web sight.