Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Exploring the Streets of New York City

Is there a way I can live half of my life in the country and the other half in the city? I love so many aspects of both lifestyles and crave experiences from both. I recently visited one of my best friends living in Manhattan. If it weren't for the great distance and this whole mothering-wifey gig I got going right now I would be in New York City every weekend. What a great week it was with a visit to the The Antiques Garage, the historic library, mouth-watering bakeries, mastering stroller transport through the subway, Central Park, The Martha Stewart Show, a night out with the girls, and plenty of great conversation and laughter. 


Balto in Central Park


A very chilly day, but it didn't stop us.



Ten years ago I hopped across three continents, navigated through five airports, traveled over 24 hours of flight, and took a terrifying yet fascinating drive over several miles of red clay to my new summer home in a little room with thin foam mattresses and mosquito nets, and these two as my roomies:
We also shared the room with a rat, several lizards, and spiders. Naming them helped us cope with the fact that they were there.

Here we are ten years ago. I just had to. Far left: London (couldn't be more obvious) Kristi at the top with Rachel and Hailey far right below me. Top right: One of our field trips in Uganda. Bottom right: In front of our church building in Mukono, Uganda with our host sister Nicole. 
You girls are alright. 

I was interviewed for the show, The Chew. I never saw my clip or any other clips of people talking about pie, so I think they either cut the entire segment or I watched the wrong day. If you ever see me on that show let me know! 

This was the one day I said, "Eh, I don't need to do my hair."


Sam and Charlie. I hope they work together in New York some day so I can show this picture.


Gracie, Sam, Charlie, and Lucy braving the chilly wind for a picture in Riverside Park.



Visiting our friend Stacy 


Charlie hadn't heard of Seinfeld so he didn't get any of my references.  

It's never too early to start college tours with your children. Columbia University has a beautiful campus. 
My original life's plan included living as newlyweds in a studio apartment in the middle of Manhattan. How long can we be considered newlyweds? 

4 comments:

Brooke and Ryan said...

How fun Kristi! Looks like you had a blast.

Nancy said...

I am so grateful you got to spend a summer in Uganda even if it was just to meet Rachel and Hailey. How wonderful to have these friends for life!

Steve and Hailey said...

I second your mom's comment! Best decision of my life and I almost went to London. I always feel incredibly blessed with you and Rach. It's even better as we go through similar life changes and trials and realize that we still have each other. That sounds a little sappy, but so true. I LOVED our girl's trip. Your pictures turned out so well. Too bad I missed out on the get together with Stacey. Time to plan our next trip! :)

Stephen and Debbie said...

That trip looks awesome! Jealous! I love the city and would live there in a heartbeat if I ever could!!!

Thanks for sharing your awesome trip!