It just doesn't seem like Christmas to me until I visit Temple Square downtown SLC. I don't wear my pink snow bibs and moon boots anymore, but it wouldn't be a bad idea considering how cold it is! Last night we ventured down with the young women and young men (church youth group) in our ward.
Thorvaldsen's Christus statue has to be one of my favorite highlights on Temple Square. I like to think of his original in the Lutheran church, Church of Our Lady, in Copenhagen. It's great to be able to stand in awe in front of a depiction of the Savior with foreigners across world. That unity brings me such peace in an unstable world. My Relief Society lesson was on unity this last Sunday. We had such a great discussion and so many interesting thoughts were shared. It made me want to go out and befriend everyone on the street and embrace our differences! I know this sounds like a giant cheese ball, but don't deny that you haven't ever had that feeling before too! I found this quote regarding unity for my lesson from Elder Eyring:
"One way I have seen it done is to search for anything on which we agree. To be that peacemaker, you need to have the simple faith that as children of God, with all our differences, it is likely that in a strong position we take, there will be elements of truth. The great peacemaker, the restorer of unity, is the one who finds a way to help people see the truth they share. That truth they share is always greater and more important to them than their differences. . . That same principle applies as we build unity with people who are from vastly different backgrounds. The children of God have more in common than they have differences. And even the differences can be seen as an opportunity. God will help us see a difference in someone else not as a source of irritation but as a contribution. The Lord can help you see and value what another person brings which you lack."
I love knowing that no matter where someone is from, what religion they belong to, or what kind of background they were raised in, we can all find commonality with one another. We may not agree on everything 100%, but it's the unity which brings us closer and makes us stronger. Right now our world needs this strength!



5 comments:
Ok, so your post is wonderful, but your picture of Emerson is amazing as the blog header! My coworkers even say that he is so cute! Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!
Amen! I agree with the post above the picture of Emerson is soo cute. And i love the Royce Voice..very catchy. Thanks for an uplifting post.
So I commented back to you on our blog. What is the proper blog etiquette?
What a fun outing! Did Emerson really pay attention to the lights, or was he indifferent??? I really like the quote- I think I will look for it in Italian- where did you find it?
I love the new picture! His eyes are sooo blue. Thanks for the insight- it was uplifting and inspiring.
Post a Comment