I have always been disturbed by fascism, the holocaust, and the events that took place in concentration camps, but visiting Mauthausen Concentration Camp brought it to a new level for me. It became more personal for me as I looked at so many victims' faces on the wall only feet from where many of them lost their lives. It was a humbling experience to walk where so many unimaginable and indescribable things occurred. I kept thinking about the fact that each victim was either someone's parent, grandparent, uncle, aunt, son, or daughter. These people and their sacrifice should never be forgotten.
photo posted from my iPhone
2 comments:
There is an unreal feeling in these places. I visited Dachau once and that experience will stay with me forever. Looks like a wonderful trip. This group of Washington Royce's would love to go someday.
I am glad you made it to Mathousen. Even though it is not as well known as many other memorial camps, I think it is so profound. And it always amazes me how close the local towns people lived their lives next to such atrocities. When we were there, I remember wild flowers growing in the meadow by the entrance. In a way a sign of healing.
Post a Comment